Lead Backend Developer
We are a fast-growing, multi award winning technology company in Shoreditch, London. Entering an exciting new business phase, StoryShare is going through a period of exponential growth following newly secured funding.
At StoryShare we build platforms, software development kits and code libraries to enable the world’s biggest brands deliver great digital communication and learning experiences. Our products exist so employees can love their work. Our SaaS communication and learning experience platform, optimised for mobile, reaches anyone, anytime, anywhere and on any device.
Our offices thrive with the intelligence and initiative of a hardworking and enthusiastic team, whose combined knowledge and ability has created some of the finest enterprise technology to date. We have created a space where people want to work and companies and clients want to spend time, and now we’re looking for a Lead Backend Developer to become part of our freethinking and social team.
The ideal candidate is an experienced WordPress architect/engineer who will be responsible for leading the development of our platform as a service offering.
You are excited about technology, self motivated and passionate about learning. You take an interest in why we do things, and you're able to focus on delivering value for your team. You are a talented developer who aspires to be an expert in their chosen field and you have a strong interest in growing your skills in all web development disciplines.
You will need a minimum of five years’ experience in PHP development, specifically including knowledge of object-oriented PHP7+, WordPress themes and plugins, the WordPress REST API, and PHPUnit testing. Your experience should be as part of a wider team of developers, performing peer reviews, and developing in a CI/CD environment. We would love if you have had some practice in coaching and mentoring more junior developers, which would include quality assurance of their work, and recommendations for improvements.
Roles & Responsibilities
- To participate in sprint ceremonies such as standups, sprint planning and provide accurate estimations.
- To update the task planning system (Jira) with work progress.
- To develop high quality PHP code and unit tests when implementing new functionality.
- To assist other backend developers with strategic implementation advice, mentoring and coaching as necessary.
- To be responsible for identifying breaking changes, and their mitigation through customer communications or migration processes.
- To support the testing team with any queries related to new functionality.
- Proactively recommend features and other modifications to the product team that will improve the customer experience.
- Identify opportunities to clean up existing code, or refactor for performance and supportability.
Essential Technical Skills
- Object-oriented PHP 7+.
- Knowledge of WordPress including theme and plugin development.
- Using and debugging REST APIS, particularly the WordPress REST API, including concepts such as CORS and authentication techniques.
- Experience writing unit tests using PHPUnit.
- Demonstrable expertise of building high-performance, secure web services.
- Source control and team workflow using git and github.com, including PRs, and peer code reviews.
- Working collaboratively in an agile environment including providing accurate development time estimates.
Desirable Technical Skills
- Selecting and integrating 3rd-party libraries.
- Working knowledge of the OS command line and a relevant scripting language (Bash, Perl, Python), or NodeJS scripting
Why join us
- Salary Range: £75k+ depending upon experience
- Quarterly bonus based on company performance,
- Join a company culture which prioritises personal wellbeing.
- Create bespoke learning plans as you work.
- Celebrate success with recognition awards.
- Monthly evening socials and delicious breakfasts.
- 25 days holiday, plus extra gifted company holiday days
- Options for flexible working hours.
- Childcare vouchers.